Letting Go of What We Can’t Control

I’ve read two Mom blogs recently where the Moms are going through a challenging time with their teenager(s). I’ve learned myself over the last few years (and I’ve blogged about it) that teens make their own decisions and definitely exert their own free will – at will. I keep this quote by Elisa Morgan (former CEO of MOPS (Mother’s of Preschoolers), author, and currently serves at Discover the Word) in my desk drawer along with countless other Mom-encouragements. I thought it was worth sharing with my fellow Mothers with teens:

“But we don’t get to control our kids. Their choices. Their consequences. Their place in the race of life. During a very trying time when my children were headed in directions I’d never imagined, a respected Christian leader told me “Elisa, we are not responsible for our    children’s choices. We are responsible for our responses to their choices.””                  Elisa Morgan, “Control and Motherhood”, Thriving Family.

12 thoughts on “Letting Go of What We Can’t Control

1. drsusanministry August 24, 2014 / 6:42 pm

But I want to control every single decision and aspect of her life!! However, I know this isn’t healthy and I consciously don’t do it but I do try and guide her. If she make a mistake then I ask her what she could have done differently. I really do find it difficult to not just tell her the right choices (ok, sometimes I do, for sure!) This was a great little blog. 🙂

• Family to the 5 Power! August 24, 2014 / 8:26 pm

Thank you, Susan. I am glad you can relate. As fellow Moms, I find great comfort as we all walk through similar emotions together (yet through cyberspace!). Thank you for the comment :).

2. rozplus4 August 7, 2014 / 1:36 pm

Wow, what a powerful quote … and something I’m having a rough time living by … I’m a flaming codependent and for years have tried to recover from that … I was able to let go of a spouse, but learning to do it with a child is SO much more difficult. I’m trying though … and that quote makes me realize it’s OKAY to let go and let them make their mistakes … I just didn’t want to be the one who failed her kids …
    Thanks for this post!

• Family to the 5 Power! August 7, 2014 / 6:08 pm

It’s difficult for all of us Moms, but have faith that you’ve taught them so well that despite a few mistakes here and there, they will ultimately live “right” :).

3. mommycookforme August 6, 2014 / 10:31 am

What a fantastic quote! Thanks for sharing.:)

4. Stephanie Romero August 6, 2014 / 8:01 am

Immediate tears came to my eyes–love this! Will be printing it out and keeping it handy, as I’m sure I’ll need this reminder again. Thank you for sharing!

• Family to the 5 Power! August 6, 2014 / 10:08 am

I’m glad…Moms need encouragement! Looking forward to your post today, as I am every Wednesday!

5. bonnevivantelife August 5, 2014 / 10:12 pm

Love this! Thank you also for stopping by my blog and liking a post!! Can’t wait to read more of your work!

6. Sasha August 5, 2014 / 3:28 pm

What a great quote! I am copying this down now to save for my own teen year experiences. Hopefully I can gleam enough wisdom now to give me a little head start in the coming years!

• Family to the 5 Power! August 5, 2014 / 7:14 pm

Tuck them all away and you’ll discover those little phrases reappear just about when you need them :). Thanks for visiting today!