Trying to get the perfect photo of your moody teens? Graduation? Christmas?

My twins who are the oldest of my three kids were entering the really annoying “teen stage” at about 13 years old. They were still very good kids, but one thing in particular became very difficult for about a year: taking family photos with happy faces!

It was November and I wanted to have the three of them in a decent photo for the annual Christmas card. Whenever I was behind the camera that year, trying to get them all to laugh together became a guaranteed upset and complete failure. So, I decided to have the photo taken somewhere else.

I made a few phone calls and found a place that fit my budget and time frame around sports. As I finalized the date, I casually asked, “Can you please arrange for us to have one of your most fun and friendly photographers? Preferably a female?”

Her stuttering response: “Why, ma’am? Are… your… kids… little ones?”

I can hear her shuffling papers through the phone line. “I thought you told me they were teenagers…?” Poor thing, she was confused.

I was embarrassed and felt compelled to explain that “little ones” behavior often accompanies teenage bodies. But, I didn’t waste her time or mine. The truth is, teens will usually (although not always) behave better for strangers (a.k.a. photographer) than family.

The point of the story? When raising teens, shamelessly ask for help when you need it. Yep, even if that includes the photographer at your local JCPenney studio.

9 thoughts on “Trying to get the perfect photo of your moody teens? Graduation? Christmas?

1. Canuck Carl January 8, 2017 / 7:58 pm

Hang tight. All our teens went through that. And looking at the albums from their teen years is now always good for a laugh! 🙂

• Family to the 5 Power! January 12, 2017 / 12:27 pm

Thanks for your comment! Yes, they sure give us stories for the future during the teen years! 🙂

2. mommermom May 25, 2016 / 12:32 pm

We just took the very first successful (or so it seems) graduation pictures of our granddaughter where everyone managed to smile and keep their eyes open at the same time!

3. Camie May 9, 2016 / 12:11 pm

My trouble has been getting my teen to smile naturally instead of forcing his smile. It’s like he hit a certain age and forgot how to act naturally!

• Family to the 5 Power! May 9, 2016 / 5:51 pm

Yes, the fake/forced smile is a whole other issue! Thankfully, they usually get over it and back to photo-fun within a year or two!

4. April May 9, 2016 / 11:00 am

I think I’m forever going to have photos of my oldest making some kind of face in every picture. Sometimes it’s a scowl, other times just a kooky face. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a good picture one of these days. 🙂

• Family to the 5 Power! May 9, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Keep trying…one of these days your oldest will surprise you with the perfect smile or laugh!! Then, you will need to enlarge and frame it!:)