I Can’t Have a Relationship With My Turkey

I live in a suburb that is home to several beautiful farms. Recently, I saw two different signs offering turkeys for sale for Thanksgiving. I pulled over to take photos of both signs so I could call the numbers in the next few weeks to place an order.

I thought it would be neat to tell everyone at Thanksgiving that they were enjoying a healthy, no-hormone-injected, no-inhumane-treatment-turkey from the local farm.

Then, at the second farm, I looked to my right to see the other sign that said “choose your turkey”. There in the cutest little coop were several, beautiful white turkeys clucking around with their fellow feathered friends and family members. The customer could select their turkey, visit it regularly, watching it grow plump over the next few weeks.I stared at them. They were adorable! I suddenly thought about how the kids would name the horses or cows down the street when they were little. I didn’t have the heart to tell them back then that those cows we were visiting would end up in someone’s freezer by fall.

Not to sound like a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but I’m a meat-eater. I love a good roast, pulled pork and definitely a Thanksgiving turkey with plenty of gravy. However, I don’t think my enjoyment would be the same if I visited my selection for a month before picking him up headless.A few years ago, one of our 4H Moms had us over to plan out the year of crafts for our daughters. About an hour into the meeting, her daughter got up and said, “I’ll be right back, I need to go feed him.” I inquired about who she was feeding. Mom explained that every year her daughter independently purchased a small steer. She fed it daily and cared for it, eventually selling it the following year at fair.

When the girl came back into the house, I asked if she ever got attached and felt bad turning it over for slaughter. She shrugged saying, “Nope. I get paid $1300 at fair. I’m saving for college.”

While some may not get attached, I fear I might. Knowing me, I might actually name the bird during a visit. Then, I’m likely to share with the family that our meat was once “Bob” and we are eating him. My kids might get a chuckle, but I may have trouble digesting.

I momentarily felt conflicted about the whole turkey situation, but it does not make me consider being a vegetarian. I’m looking forward to the cherished meal.  I have to go order my turkey now. But, I’ll let the farmer choose one for me.

32 thoughts on “I Can’t Have a Relationship With My Turkey

1. murisopsis November 7, 2018 / 11:43 pm

This was a wonderful post – combining a thought provoking topic, humor, and a glimpse into your everyday life! Too bad I can’t like it more than once!!!

• Family to the 5 Power! November 8, 2018 / 8:39 am

Awhhh, thank you! I’ve been driving by those turkeys for weeks now and I still can’t imagine visiting one before I eat it! 🙂 Thanks for reading!

2. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer November 6, 2018 / 12:05 pm

How about not putting your love of animals in contrast to your enjoyment of eating meat?

Two separate areas, in my mind: they have to be separate or our family would be forced into vegetarianism.

3. Carolyn Page November 3, 2018 / 6:05 pm

Happy Thanksgiving when it arrives…
    I appreciate your position exactly. I could not ‘select’ either… 🙂

4. ortensia November 3, 2018 / 7:06 am

Oh my this story makes think about one of my daughter s school mate.they are three brothers age 10,7 and 5 .the father got three piglets and made the kids name one each but unfortunately when they were big enough they turned in their Christmas dinner 😱🤣

5. JanBeek November 2, 2018 / 6:01 pm

I love your sense of humor, your chatty writing style – – – and your heart for turkeys! Ah yes, don’t forget the cranberries!

6. ruthsoaper November 2, 2018 / 12:14 pm

I totally get this. We have been raising chickens for about 6 years. Several times we have bought chicks with the intention of butchering some for food. We have yet to do so. We (especially my husband) gets attached. We are still buying chicken to eat but always have fresh eggs. We really do need to find a way to get beyond this because I am sure the meat we raise would be so much better than what we buy.

• Family to the 5 Power! November 2, 2018 / 6:17 pm

Good point…your chickens are probably the healthiest to consume but I understand your husband’s reluctance!

7. Timelesslady November 2, 2018 / 11:56 am

I would have been exactly the same way. I like meat also, but I don’t want to see it walking around. Cowardly of me maybe…but the only way I can do it.

8. susandyer1962 November 2, 2018 / 10:44 am

I totally get this! But it doesn’t make me want to stop eating meat!! Can’t wait for our turkey!🦃🦃
    Have an awesome weekend and thanks for the giggles!💕

9. Tanya November 2, 2018 / 10:15 am

I know I would be guilt stricken eating something I nurtured, my maternal feelings might stop me from doing it. On the contrary an organic store turkey might save me those pants of guilt!

10. Tanya November 2, 2018 / 9:47 am

I would definitely get attached, and might just keep the turkey as a pet and instead get an organic turkey from Whole Foods or such stores. I can’t eat something I am caring and feeding. 😊

• Tanya November 2, 2018 / 10:10 am

Yes my maternal feelings won’t let me have it, after caring for them like babies it would be too hard. From organic store I’ll get at least I didn’t feed or nurture it so won’t be guilt!

11. sandys1ummer November 1, 2018 / 2:22 pm

Wow what nice a post!
    It was a good read 🙂
    It is really tough to harden your heart for animals.
    And we totally agree with you.
    We’d really appreciate it if you checked out our website and gave your opinions on it.
    Have a good day 🙂

12. JT Twissel November 1, 2018 / 12:32 pm

We have wild turkeys in my neighborhood and they are a nuisance but they’re safe from me.

13. Roos Ruse November 1, 2018 / 10:09 am

This is curious. I also wrote this week about needing to harden my heart toward our steer that acts like an 1800 pound puppy and the three-year-old hens that have stopped laying. Perhaps I’ll spin it slightly differently and include a link here?😊☺

• Family to the 5 Power! November 1, 2018 / 10:57 am

I bet it’s difficult to harden your heart toward them… I look forward to reading the new post.

14. Michelle November 1, 2018 / 10:04 am

I would definitely get attached! I just love all animals!