Ordinary? Nope, it’s Extraordinary…The Egg

Every now and then, the little things I pass by as “ordinary” suddenly appear unique and amazing. Today, it’s the egg.

Take 60 seconds and really think about the egg! Who thought to take the egg from the chicken, crack it open and decide to eat it? According to Incredibleegg.org, Europe had domesticated hens back in 600 BC. There are some very interesting factoids on that site, you might want to check it out!

Who first decided the egg might be good by tossing the whole thing, shell and all, in boiling water to make a soft boiled egg?How did a fried egg sandwich become so popular at restaurants? Who decided to crack open the egg and pour it onto a flat skillet? How about the hard boiled egg? Used now in cobb salad, deviled eggs, egg salad, radiant Easter baskets and just for sheer enjoyment!Eggs are now even used in beauty treatments!

Enjoying the EGGstraordinary in the ordinary today! 🙂

29 thoughts on “Ordinary? Nope, it’s Extraordinary…The Egg

1. Sana November 12, 2018 / 11:37 am

I was about to sleep. But after reading this, I’m wondering about history of eggs.
    Great post. 😁

• Family to the 5 Power! November 12, 2018 / 12:20 pm

Sorry to keep you up! It makes you think, doesn’t it? So many interesting things that we have no clear idea how they began! 🙂

• Sana November 12, 2018 / 12:36 pm

Hey! It’s totally fine. Exactly. And not just eggs but so many things. Woah! 😮

• Family to the 5 Power! November 11, 2018 / 7:41 pm

Right?! They are delicious and a part of countless recipes (many wonderful ones on your blog!).

2. Mama's Empty Nest November 10, 2018 / 7:35 am

We love our eggs here in Mama’s Empty Nest. We especially love our farm fresh brown eggs I get from my friend who has chickens. Yum, they taste so much better than commercial eggs.

• Family to the 5 Power! November 10, 2018 / 9:54 am

Having farm-fresh eggs from your friend is really a blessing. They are so good for us!

3. blindzanygirl November 9, 2018 / 2:17 am

Wow! WHAT a lot of thoughts about eggs! Brilliant! I grew up on a farm too, and I remember my grandfather going into the egg house each day and shining abtorch onto each egg to make sure it was fresh, and that he had not picked up an old one from out of the fields. Then the eggs would be packed into big egg bixes and picked up to be sold in the shops. Wonderful days. I love egg salad!

• Family to the 5 Power! November 9, 2018 / 8:24 am

What special memories you have of your grandfather on the farm. I love egg salad too! You are right…so many thoughts about eggs! My ever-running mind! Thanks for reading.

4. Wendy November 8, 2018 / 4:41 pm

Good questions! Who came up with all of this?

5. cactusflower18 November 8, 2018 / 11:34 am

How interesting; I love eggs, maybe because I grew up on a farm in WI until I was 5. I just had an egg sandwhich for breakfast the other day with bacon….Mmmmmmm! Yes, I also love them in my salad sometimes. Thank you for an interesting article!

6. Anne Mehrling November 8, 2018 / 11:28 am

It is interesting to wonder who had the courage to cook and eat an egg. I don’t feel like we eat a lot of them, but we buy them on a weekly basis.

7. Author Ryan Callahan November 8, 2018 / 9:16 am

I miss eating eggs. I used to love making homemade egg, ham, and cheese breakfast sandwiches! I can’t eat eggs or dairy anymore due to Celiac. I loved eggs just about anyway you can make ’em! Blessings!

• Family to the 5 Power! November 8, 2018 / 10:04 am

Those breakfast sandwiches sound yummy! I’m so sad to learn that you can no longer enjoy them. God bless you!

• blindzanygirl November 9, 2018 / 2:13 am

So sorry you can’t eat eggs any more. That is a bummer!