An April Fool’s Joke You Can’t Get Away With in 2019

Right up until the kids moved to college, I always pulled some shenanigans on April Fool’s Day – every single year. It was especially fun during the high school years when teenagers pulled open the fridge door, only to have a bowl of dry cereal dumped on their head. Mornings before school generated the biggest laughter – mostly mine! I got in 3-4 stunts before 7:30am.

When they were little, I gave them sweet funnies that generated happy giggles. When they were teenagers, it was game-on rigging shower heads and toilets. I messed with their shoes and lunches…even put a “for sale” sign in the back window of my son’s car during his senior year! During my youngest daughter’s senior year, I drove to the high school just before her day ended and loaded her car with filled balloons and tied a few on the outside side mirrors with long ribbon. I wish I could have watched her squeeze her eyes tight, shake her head back and forth and smile in spite of her mother – all that long walk in front of friends in the parking lot – but I had to high-tail it out of there before she arrived!

I basically did anything to bring a smile to their face and a hearty laugh for myself.

My husband isn’t as much fun to prank, but I still do it. One of my classics is from eons ago when the kids were still in diapers. Cell phones had made an entry into society (and into my husband’s vehicle) but they were big and bulky and certainly did not tell the time. Yes, the ‘ol time joke was the best that particular year.

Late into the night of March 31st, I lay next to my husband stifling giggles and hoping that my April Fool’s plan would work out. After he hit REM sleep, I crept out of bed and set all clocks in the house back one hour. Then, I went outside and set his car clock. And his watch.

Barely able to contain my excitement, I remained under the covers and peered out of my half-slit eyes as my husband rose up, showered and headed out to work. As luck would have it, my husband planned to get the oil changed in his car on the way to work. I didn’t know this during planning, but it gave me a great ab work out of laughter when I found out a short time later.

The second the car pulled out of the driveway, I leapt up and laughed all the way through morning chores. The phone rang about 45 minutes later (the kind that used to sit on kitchen counters, not stuffed in your back pocket).

“Uhhh, this is weird but the place isn’t open yet. It’s been a weird morning. Less traffic and no one is here. Is today a school holiday or something?”

I could barely contain myself. “No holiday today. Where are you?”

“I’m at the car place but it opens at 7…” (Moments of silence ensue as he thinks about why a car place wouldn’t be open.) “It’s 7:45…I don’t know why it’s closed…maybe it opens at 8.” Silence. Thinking. Reading the sign on their door.  “But, it doesn’t open at 8! It opens at 7!”… “I’m just going to work. I’m not going to sit here another 10 minutes.”

We hang up and I let this continue…

A short time later, the land line rings again. At this point, I’m sure he knows. In my most cheerful tone… “Hello?!!”

A sarcastic voice responds. “Real funny! How in the world!!?? I cannot even believe you did this…I should have known…the sky wasn’t as bright…”

I haven’t stopped laughing since.

Now, our phones automatically update and correct the time and announce every single event – even those email confirmations you didn’t put on your phone calendar appear in your phone calendar! Very few people don’t look at their phone between the time they wake up and go to work.

And, very few people wear watches any more since they have their phones!

Enjoy your April Fool’s Day and have some fun!

See the source image

19 thoughts on “An April Fool’s Joke You Can’t Get Away With in 2019

1. Invisibly Me April 3, 2019 / 12:43 pm

Hahahah!
    I LOVE your sense of humour. Also really like the balloons in and on the car, it almost makes me wish my folks had April fool pranked me when I was younger =]
    xx

• Family to the 5 Power! April 3, 2019 / 4:23 pm

Hahaha! They did have fun and have missed my nonsense since being at school the last couple years!😄 Thank you for reading!

2. live_a_life_less_ordinary April 1, 2019 / 9:47 pm

I’m a teacher. I have some great April Fools stories from past years, but I didn’t have time to plan anything good this year. I just reminded them about a pretend huge assignment due tomorrow… everyone saw through it, and a few students even told me that one of their other teachers did the same thing.

I had in my desk a bunch of old detention slips. The school isn’t using that form anymore, so they’re basically just scratch paper now. I told the students that I would fill out fake detentions if they wanted to fool their parents (with reasons like “punching a unicorn,” “feeding homework to a goat,” or “shooting protractors from a grenade launcher while shouting ‘MERICA!!!”). I ran out of time in class, so I told them I would do it after school… and there was a line outside the door, even including several students I didn’t know. 🙂 I haven’t heard any parents’ reactions yet, because of course this was just a few hours ago.

• Family to the 5 Power! April 1, 2019 / 10:02 pm

You are such a fun teacher! The kids lining up outside your door shows that they too want to have a little fun with their parents! Tomorrow will be full of stories from your students!😄

• live_a_life_less_ordinary April 1, 2019 / 10:05 pm

Thank you… I wish I felt like a good teacher. I got a little too angry at one period today and lost it in front of them (not related to April Fool’s Day), and it just frustrates me how so many of them sit there and do nothing and their parents don’t seem to care.

• Family to the 5 Power! April 2, 2019 / 1:26 pm

It must be difficult. But you are trying to make a positive impact and that’s a blessing to them!

• live_a_life_less_ordinary April 2, 2019 / 1:58 pm

Thank you 🙂 I eventually said to the class I yelled at that the reason I get so passionate is because I care about them and their future.

3. carmen April 1, 2019 / 3:18 pm

Your husband is a good sport! 🙂
    For some reason the 👍 button doesn’t work. 😦

❤️carmen

• carmen April 1, 2019 / 3:41 pm

I added the thumbs up emoji because when I click the like button it doesn’t work. Not sure why but it’s been happening on some blogs and yet others are fine. Strange.

4. JanBeek April 1, 2019 / 2:25 pm

The joke’s on me! Woke up to a flooded basement and my husband put a towel outside the door to soak up the gallons of water that are melting and coming in through the double doors down there into the bedroom. Uh, nope! Don’t think the towel is gonna do it!

5. Irene April 1, 2019 / 1:17 pm