Hanging on When the Winds Blow Hard

The branches in my Northeastern town remain bare. Last November’s leaves are still strewn on the ground, some lightly covered in a dusting of snow.

Despite the windiest winter ever, the few leaves in the photos hung on. Wind, snow and cold fought hard to rip those leaves off as they had pulled down every other leaf in sight.

Those. Held.

While these branches wouldn’t be considered a vine and the paper thin leaves are certainly not fruit, I thought of that scripture when looking at these photos I took a few days ago.

“I am the vine, and you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will bear much fruit; for you can do nothing without me.” John 15:5 GNT

The verse is actually speaking of not being able to produce good things (“fruit” such as love, joy, patience…) without remaining attached to Jesus (the vine). Depending on what’s going on, it’s not even “good things” I’m clinging to Him for. Sometimes, we hang on tight merely to survive the smaller struggles that can overtake our time and minds – swiftly ripping us from the Vine – if we’re not paying attention.

“Remain alert. Keep standing firm in your faith. Keep on being courageous and strong.” 1 Cor. 16:13

17 thoughts on “Hanging on When the Winds Blow Hard

1. lghiggins April 15, 2019 / 12:39 am

I like the connection you made. Yes, when the winds of life blow, we need to hang on to the only One who will always be there for us,

2. AmyRose🌹 April 14, 2019 / 9:20 am

If I did not hang on tight to that “Vine”, I’d be sunk. Thank you so much for this post, reminding me that always always no matter what, just to hang on. That last quote got me. I know all about tying knots just to keep hanging on. Bless you for this encouraging post today! 🌟🌟🌟

3. nancyc April 13, 2019 / 2:32 pm

Great thoughts and I like the I For. 16:13 verse you shared!

4. Invisibly Me April 12, 2019 / 1:21 pm

A wonderful way of looking at it, and taking ‘moral of the story’ approach from the surprising strength of nature. I love it. And that quote from Roosevelt is a classic, very important to remember that we can survive whatever’s thrown at us, we just have to plant our feet firmly and hold on. xx

• Family to the 5 Power! April 12, 2019 / 2:12 pm

You get it! We all need the encouragement to hang on. Everything moves forward (and usually improves!) eventually.

5. Michelle April 12, 2019 / 9:08 am

Such a good reminder to hang in there and not let go of Jesus’s hand!