Reminiscing During a Walk at the Park

I’ve been walking our local parks for years. I love them all (and we have several) for their individuality, but one close to my house has beauty, water and multiple sports fields that hold sentimental value to me.My son ran many-a-bases and threw countless pitches on the various baseball diamonds. My girls carried snack bags, watched movies on portable DVD players during the double-headers, sat on the swings and played pretend with the other sisters bored at their brothers’ baseball games. It might have registered 120* on the turf during my daughters’ lacrosse games, but we parents were also melting on the sidelines!

That was years ago and last night, I strolled alone through the very active and busy park, realizing that with every baseball and soccer game I was passing in stride, I was watching the next generation standing behind home plate.

Grandparents in their chairs, rooting on their grandkids.

Dads at first and third base yelling to their boys…

Mamas pushing and pulling strollers off to the side, rocking their youngest ones as sunset began.

Throughout my long two-hour walk, I grinned knowingly.

I was that Mama. My husband was that Dad, rounding them to home.Throughout my laps, I wiped tears from under my sunglasses. Wasn’t it just last week I was filling the cooler, packing the snacks, grabbing books and blankets? I strode past a long line of parked mini-vans and hatch-backs and trucks …  each stuffed with lawn chairs. Wasn’t I just driving my mini-van? I had mini-vans for 18 years and I loved them. They represented family life that I loved being immersed in. I can still see my kids running from the park playground into the side van door as the skies opened and torrential rain poured. Awesome giggles and real joy flowed from the back seats. Their eyes wide at the ominous clouds and shaking of thunder.

The echoes of their young laughter flooded my mind. It was a precious time before student loans and adult-jobs. My chest filled with the childhood freedom we all enjoyed together. A child’s oblivion of adult world problems… their purity… their frequent laughter… their lightness… it rubs off on the grown ups.

I was smiling at the thoughts, but wiped wetness from my cheeks again. These years are good too…really good. My twins are recent university grads. My baby duck just served the Lord for eight weeks and is finally back in the nest for the remainder of the summer before returning to her university. Even though they are young adults now, we still play games, watch movies, cheer on our Yankees (if you’re a Sox fan, we can still be friends :)), eat dinners together…these years are merely different. They too elicit special feelings and deep appreciation for all God has blessed me with as a Mama of three children. Those ‘free-years’ were just so much stinkin’ fun.

Picking up my pace, I walked far around the nasty, hissing geese…
Summer was painfully late arriving here in New York. About two weeks ago, hot weather finally showed up and it’s been glorious.

This one is a bit fuzzy off my cell phone, but I’m including it as the birds chirping throughout the park is a summer joy to me!
Oh, the happy daisies never get old, do they? Always smiling at us. As I hopped back into my car, these little flowers left me filled with gratitude for the good memories, and lifted up with joy for the good there is now – and will continue to be.
Admire each pretty flow’r
With its sweet smell;
To praise their Maker, and to tell
The marks of His great pow’r.      Thomas Traherne

29 thoughts on “Reminiscing During a Walk at the Park

1. SLIMJIM August 1, 2019 / 11:32 pm

Wow reading this as a younger parent really put the park I go to in perspective

2. Mama's Empty Nest July 22, 2019 / 9:55 am

I enjoyed taking that walk “with you!” As an empty nest mama of 3 children, now grown adults, I experienced those same things you reminisced about in this post whether it was on a soccer or baseball field, basketball court, or bleachers around the track. All of those memories come flooding back. And now, I’m entering into the next stage of life. This spring I sat once again on the sidelines of a soccer field watching my 4-year-old granddaughter play. 🙂

• Mama Duck July 22, 2019 / 6:45 pm

How wonderful to share in your granddaughter’s activities! Your granddaughter is very blessed to have her Mama and her ‘Grand-Mama’ on that field supporting her.

3. murisopsis July 20, 2019 / 11:59 pm

This bit of nostalgia is wonderful. I think most parents have a place or activity that jogs the memories of when the kids were young… I enjoyed your stroll down memory lane.

• Mama Duck July 21, 2019 / 9:02 am

Thank you for reading about my memory-filled walk.☺️Yes, I agree with you that there are so many places we go and a memory sparks from when we were there with our children when they were younger.💕

4. anotherday2paradise July 20, 2019 / 2:37 pm

A wonderful post to read. We will always have our memories and our kids will always be our children, how ever old they grow. 😃

5. Irene July 19, 2019 / 11:41 pm

I also enjoy thinking back to when our daughter was little. Lovely post. 😊

6. roninjax July 19, 2019 / 9:10 pm

Beautiful. Those memories will never fade; like you said – it seems only last week. It’s amazing how time moves on. I’m reminded how we need to seize each moment, and enjoy the days we have here on Earth. 🙂

• Mama Duck July 19, 2019 / 10:03 pm

Amen! We do indeed need to enjoy ALL the days…in all seasons of our lives.😊

7. Tracy July 19, 2019 / 8:55 pm

Brought tears to my eyes reading this. Missing those days so much. But also, as you, enjoying this new time and more memories…..just got back from NYC catching a yankee game with the kids and my Mom. Miss and love you E!

• Mama Duck July 19, 2019 / 10:01 pm

Awhhhh, thank you for commenting Tracy. So nice to hear from you! Glad you had a great time in NYC⚾️!😘

8. lghiggins July 19, 2019 / 6:54 pm

Beautiful pictures, thoughts, and memories. Thank you for sharing that part of your life today.

9. ruthsoaper July 19, 2019 / 6:13 pm

As a mom of 4 young adults I can identify with your emotions. Thanks for sharing. ☺

Thank you for commenting!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s